This dish is a perfect example of how well chocolate and sea salt go together. Jersey Sea Salt brings out the pure chocolate flavour whilst adding a delicate crunch to the mousse.
- 200g plain chocolate, broken into pieces.
- 80g caster sugar.
- 5 large eggs, separated (you will use only three of the whites)
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil plus extra to serve
- 1½ tsp brandy
- Jersey Sea Salt
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring from time to time don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Leave to cool for a while.
- Stir 30g of the caster sugar into the five egg yolks, then gradually add this to the chocolate. Slowly and steadily stir in the oil, then the brandy.
- Beat three egg whites and a little salt until soft peaks form, then add the remaining sugar and keep beating until glossy.
- Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture with a metal spoon, making sure that there are no white streaks.
- Divide the mixture between six dishes and cover each dish with cling film or tin foil and put in the fridge to firm up a little. Keep checking the mousse every twenty minutes or so as you don’t want the mousse to be to firm.
- To serve pour a little pool of olive oil on top of each mousse and sprinkle over Jersey Sea Salt to finish.