Salt and Pepper Squid
- by Jean-Paul Bouic
Discover the secrets of cooking crunchy, crispy restaurant-style Salt and Pepper Squid in your own kitchen. A perfect sharing starter.
- 1 kilo of baby squid.
- 2 tablespoons of dried chillies.
- 3 tablespoons of Jersey Sea Salt.
- 2 tablespoons of black pepper.
- 500g of rice flour.
- 500ml of vegetable oil.
- 3 eggs.
- Add the chillies, salt and peppercorns into a heavy-duty frying pan and dry roast over a medium heat until the contents becomes fragrant and the salt starts to turn slightly golden. Add the contents of the pan into a mortar and grind to a fine consistency.
- In a bowl add the flour and dry roasted ingredients and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan until its temperature reaches 180 degrees. Cut the squid into stripes but keep the tentacles whole.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg and then beat the egg whites until the reach a foamy consistency.
- Dip the squid into the egg whites and then lightly coat the squid with the infused flour.
- Fry the squid in small batch’s to ensure the oil remains hot, for approximately 3 to 4 minutes or until the squid turns golden.
- Remove the squid from the wok and place on absorbent kitchen paper in order to drain off any excess oil.
- Serve with chopped coriander, mayonnaise and wedges of lemon.